Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Quest



Development of any kind takes a commitment to accept success or failure.  

Curiosity has its own reason for existing.  One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality.  It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day.  Never lose a holy curiosity 

- Albert Einstein

Ryan "Skerv" on new boulder in MD,
photo by: Original Flavor
Climbing gives me an outlet to explore the unknown, to make choices about how to solve a problem or route and see immediate feedback on my choices.  Finding new routes, new boulders, exploring what I thought I knew about my local crag or a new crag can lead to discoveries that would have otherwise went unrealized.

Recently, my friends rediscovered an area that I had visited briefly several years ago in MD but had failed to find a reason to return.  It turns out that not to far from where I had been looking for new boulders was an incredible boulder field just waiting to be found.  Its funny how close you can be to something without realizing the potential for success.  I have seen pictures of the new stuff they are climbing and its got me psyched to make the trip and check it out.  I am looking forward to seeing something new and having a new adventure.  I had a trip lined up yesterday to check the new area out but I was unable to make it happen due to a scheduling conflict.  I am looking to make a trip in the next week.

Unknown climber on problem at colls cove, western PA

All the new activity got me perusing the internet for climbing footage of remote areas in our region.  Some videos of western PA bouldering have got me amped to see what Coll’s cove has to offer.  Its another gritstone/sandstone area that I have heard good things about.  I forgot how much fun exploring remote regions of PA can be when its hot and humid and conditions are anything but ideal for sending projects.  Plus you cant reap the rewards of hard work without actually getting out and putting in some work looking for new gems.

No comments: